|Kennet Singleton cremates the dead—and then they speak… “Avenge us!”
Nineteen-year-old Kennet Singleton lives with his invalid mother in a personal care facility, but he wants out. He operates the crematory at the local funeral home, where he discovers he can discern the cause of death of those he cremates—by toasting marshmallows over their ashes.
He thinks his ability is no big deal since his customers are already dead. But when his perception differs from what’s on the death certificate, he finds himself in the midst of murderers. To save the residents and avenge the dead, Kennet must bring the killers to justice.
Okay, he’s a little strange. Then he realizes that eating those marshmallows gives him the knowledge of how the deceased died. And that’s not so bad, until he realizes that the message he gets doesn’t match the information from the death certificate. Someone is murdering people and Kennet thinks his own mother might have been one of the victims. Kennet, with the help of a couple friends, investigates the murders, leading to all kinds of twists and turns that will keep the reader guessing.
Lee Allen Howard is a fine writer, with a knack for creating characters you’ll both love and hate. Everyone in the book comes to life under Howard’s skillful hands. Although the topic is a bit of a gross-out, this isn’t a disgusting book nor is it overly graphic. It’s a good book and I’d highly recommend it.
About the author
I write dark fiction: horror, erotic horror, dark fantasy, dark crime, psychological thrillers and suspense. And technical manuals. All terribly horrifying.
Lee Allen Howard has been a technical writer in the software industry since 1985. (Why do fiction writers pretend like they don’t have day jobs? I like to eat just like everyone else!) I also edit fiction and non-fiction projects. I’ve done book layout and publishing consultancy.
A long time ago I earned a BA in English from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I also received an MA in Biblical Studies from CI School of Theology and an MA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University.
My publications include, but are not limited to:
- Early poetry and short fiction were published in IUP’s New Growth Arts Revue.
- My first novel, When the Music Stops, was published in 2000 (now out of print).
- I’ve written and published numerous biblical teachings books, which mostly out of print, but check my Lee A. Howard Amazon author page.
- “The Summer House” appeared in Cemetery Sonata anthology.
- I wrote an article in Out Magazine.
- I played editor-for-hire for Tom Venuto’s The Body Fat Solution and Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle.
- I contributed “Savoir-Faire,” edited, and published THOU SHALT NOT… anthology (Dark Cloud Press).
- “Your Very First Editor” appeared in Many Genres, One Craft.
- THE SIXTH SEED is available in a variety of formats.
- SEVERED RELATIONS is available for Kindle.
- MAMA SAID is published for Kindle.
- DESPERATE SPIRITS is published for Kindle.
- NIGHT MONSTERS is published for Kindle and Nook.
- DEATH PERCEPTION is available in a variety of formats.
- PERPETUAL NIGHTMARES is available in a variety of formats.
- THE ADAMSON FAMILY is available in a variety of formats.
- TALES OF BLOOD AND SQUALOR is available in a variety of formats.
- THE BEDWETTER is available in a variety of formats from many sites.
I’m also the founder, editor, and publisher at Dark Cloud Press (http://www.darkcloudpress.com), publisher of horror, dark crime, and psychological thrillers.