Welcome, Sara Jay!
1. For those who might not be familiar with you, would you be a dear and tell the readers a little about yourself? How did you get your start in the writing business?
(S) I started freelancing while I worked as an editor and have supported my family with full-time writing for news sites, blogs, and web pages for the past several years. I have always written fiction since I could hold a pencil, but winning the Changeling Spring Fling Contest this past year enabled me to publish my fiction for the first time.
2. All writers fear the dreaded “block”. Please tell us how you handle it.
(S) I have to get out. Usually a change of scenery will get the ideas flowing again. Sometimes a simple shower works, too. And if I eat before bed, well, I don’t want to claim responsibility for those crazy plot bunnies!
3. Contrary to what some people envision about a romance writer’s life, it’s not all glitz and glam. Well not for the majority of us. With that bubble sadly busted, when you’re not writing, how to do you spend your time?
(S) I write nonfiction full-time for a living and I homeschool my seven-year-old daughter. I run a local co-op and teach several classes in it. We volunteer, make lots of art and messes, and do lots of field trips as a family. I run the local 4-H group and volunteer in my daughter’s Girl Scouts group. I take classes every semester to feed my need to keep learning. I love to date my husband, who was my high school sweetheart, when I have the chance, too!
4. I know many writers, such as Dirk and myself, keep their pastime/career a secret. Do those close to you know you write? If so, what are their thoughts?
(S) Everyone knows I write, but not everyone knows which genres! Most of them know I like to write fantasy, speculative fiction, horror, and rom–com, but not everyone knows that I like to write erotic fiction, too.
5. Will you share with us your all time favorite authors? If you’re like me, it’s a long list so give us your top ten.
(S) That IS a very long list! My top 10 would be Joyce Carol Oates, Neil Gaiman, Christopher Pike, Stephen King, Carson McCullers, JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, LJ Smith, Yuyi Morales, and any collected authors compiled together by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling.
6. If you could choose one book to go to the big screen, yours or otherwise, which book would you choose and whom would you love see casted in the parts?
(S) I wouldn’t, because every book I love gets ruined when it goes to the big screen—with the exception of Stardust. So I would probably pick American Gods. I’ve always wanted to re-cast, rewrite, and re-direct the X-Men films myself, too. 😉
7. Would you care to tell us what you’re working on now? That is if it’s not top-secret information. If so, just whisper it in my ear. I swear it’ll go no further.
(S) Sure! I am working on a romance between a gargoyle and a faery thousands of years in the making. I am also cooking up a little demon story, as well as a romance between a human and a ghost. These will be very different from my current book, Nobody Rides for Free, which is a bit of a darker sexy ménage story between a feral faery and three bikers. Then I plan on returning to my dark territory sometime later in the year with a nymph cop drama, hopefully! J
Fae law prevents Sinn from mating, but the bikers have rules of their own — nobody rides for free.
In a world where Fae desires overrule those of mere humans, Sinn is consumed with desire for her soulmate, Daka. However, Daka refuses to break the Fae law that prevents them from having sex without the queen’s permission. Sinn finds a way to sate her sexual hunger in the company of three bikers.
They’ll make a good tribute to the queen’s appetites, too…
8. Where can we find your stories and is there a particular reading order?
(S) I only have the one out so far! You can find it at my website:
9. Would you please share how your present and future fans can contact you?
(S) Leave me a comment at the blog above, email me at email@example.com, or visit me on Facebook or Twitter:
10. Before we conclude this enlightening interview, do you have anything else you’d like to share? The stage is all yours.
(S) Be sure to visit my website for some freebies to get a feel for my writing. My Changeling Encounter “Gobble You” is there along with lots of free excerpts and flash fiction stories, as well as some art I sketched and painted that goes along with my book, Nobody Rides for Free. You can download these art freebies to use as you wish! “Gobble You” is set in the same universe as Rides for Free, but with different characters. Click here to get all of these freebies or to buy a copy of my book: http://sarajayserotica.wordpress.com/
There you have it, ladies and gents. I want to again thank Sara Jay for stopping by and mark your calendars, friends, because Sara will be returning to our blog on March 22nd.