1. Welcome, Shiralyn J. Lee. For those who might not be familiar with you, would you be a dear and tell the readers a little about yourself? How did you get your start in the writing business?
Hi there and thank you for having me over on your blog today
Well I am a lesbian and married to a wonderful woman…Janice. We met in England and because she is Canadian we moved back to her home land where we continue to reside today. I got my start in writing when I became frustrated (not sexually thank god) with all my favorite gay and lesbian programs being axed from TV. I had withdrawal symptoms. After complaining (as you do ) Janice challenged me to do something about it so I did! I wrote my first book, LOVING THE PINK KISS, based on everything that had happened to me and a few close friends.
2. All writers fear the dreaded “block”. Please tell us how you handle it.
Oh I always have a couple of stories on the go. If one isn’t coming forward then I’ll skip over to the other. If that doesn’t work I have been known to walk away from it for a few weeks and then read the entire WIP and just make drastic changes. Sometimes I see that where my work is going isn’t the path that I want it to take so I delete a scene and back track. Janice also gives me great ideas too but I can’t tell you how she gives them to me
3. Contrary to what some people envision about a romance writer’s life, it’s not all glitz and glam. Well not for the majority of us. With that bubble sadly busted, when you’re not writing, how to do you spend your time?
I work full time in a restaurant. I have very little time each day to write so I really take my mind to places that they shouldn’t be when I’m working. So basically I am living a fantasy as I work. God I live a great life sometimes
4. I know many writers, such as Dirk and myself, keep their pastime/career a secret. Do those close to you know you write? If so, what are their thoughts?
I tell everyone. If they don’t like what I write…and I know a few don’t, I consider it tough titties!! I love what I do, I love what I write. Some people are excited when they hear that I write but I do feel that they secretly read my work but are too embarrassed to admit it. Some of it is hardcore. I have even had to put a XXX on my own mind thoughts at times LOL.
5. Will you share with us your all time favorite authors? If you’re like me, it’s a long list so give us your top ten.
My very favorite is Pat Califia. Lesbian pain sluts are a must read for me
Then I do a three sixty…Sophie Kinsella (but don’t tell anybody)
Emily Griffin, J.R.R. Tolkein, After this I don’t actually have a fave author but more like fave books mainly in the erotic genre.
6. If you could choose one book to go to the big screen, yours or otherwise, which book would you choose and whom would you love see casted in the parts?
I have 2 books of mine I would love to hit the screens. Loving the Pink Kiss and Pink Crush. Not sure who would fit the casting tho, actresses would have to have an open mind that’s for sure. Kristen Stewart would probably be a good Robbie in Loving the Pink Kiss.
7. Would you care to tell us what you’re working on now? That is if it’s not top-secret information. If so, just whisper it in my ear. I swear it’ll go no further.
I am actually working on something so completely different from my norm. I am writing a Victorian piece, the unusual thing about this story is that there is only 1 swear word in the entire document (don’t scoff) and the sex is very polite… (well excuse me maam can I take a peek at your underwear?) I have researched the language and actions of Victorian women. Bloody goody two shoes comes to mind.
8. Where can we find your stories and is there a particular reading order?
They are bloody everywhere now Amazon.com and UK and now Amazon Canada. Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, WHSmith, Kobo, Chapters. The list just goes on. You can’t get away from me, ha ha.
9. Would you please share how your present and future fans can contact you?
I have a blog, twitter, face book and email. Anyone can find me if they want to. I even put my contact info in my books.
10. Before we wrap up this enlightening interview, do you have anything else you’d like to share? The stage is all yours.
I have about 14 books out now, these are all varied and written to suit a wide range of readers in the lesbian genre. I also use facts from historic events and induce them into my stories. As with all authors I value feedback from my audience and welcome reviews. Authors cannot stress that enough.
Here are a few links where to find me.
I want to thank Shiralyn for stopping by. As always, it was a pleasure chatting with you. Talk soon!